Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Spirit and Truth

I am being bombarded with the sense lately that in order to operate within our culture successfully today within a missional context we have to stay true to the scriptural aspects of Spirit and Truth.  The word and works being balanced in our actions and thoughts.  Put out there for the world to see in a way that is compelling ……. that is to say, authentic – yet sculpted by the wisdom of God. We seem to be more concerned about the idea of our own authenticity than rather or not that authenticity represents the righteousness of God.  You see, I believe – in my growing old, that it is entirely possible to be authentically wrong.

Spirit and Truth keeps my authenticity in check.  It’s a relief to know I don’t have to guess at it anymore……..Think about if for a moment.  If the nature of man is sin – and we believe authenticity to be the “natural” you, doesn’t that present a problem.  We always advise people to be themselves in order to turn them from some plastic imitation of Kingdom life.  But that somehow worries me a bit.  I don’t trust me……….But I do trust Him.  Think on it.  Let me know how this strikes you……

I think a better definition of the “authentic” you addresses the “you” God made “you” to be.  Not the “you” that “you” are trying to get away with being.  Or that maybe “you” (and me) are trying to justify. That’s a little scary, huh?

No comments: