Saturday, February 8, 2014

Thinking out Loud .....

Yep - it's Saturday afternoon and I still don't have a sermon topic for tomorrow.  Sometimes I get so frustrated with my apparent lack of pastoring skills.  Maybe I'm more like brick and mortar than I even realize.  Maybe I'm hard headed and stubborn to the point that nothing really gets through.  I don't know. Your guess, at this stage, is as good as mine.

Being a Bi-Vocational pastor would lend itself to these feelings I suppose.  I mean, having to fulfill a full time job requirement during the week and then, on the weekends,  challenge our church to spiritual growth is not at all easy.  Sometimes the distractions out weigh the focus.  But then don't you all feel the same way?  Quite frankly I love being a Bi-Vocational pastor (most of the time) because it connects me to you in a very special and real way.  For all of its trouble, I know how it feels to punch the clock and still try and remain faithful to all things Holy Spirit.  Not easy by any stretch of the imagination - or is it?

Here I sit, another Saturday, fretting over what I will bring to the table tomorrow at our weekly gathering.  I know full well that The Lord will certainly show up - even if I don't.  That's a lesson I should have surely learned by now.   It turns out that He loves His church way more than I do.  However, the pain of not knowing how that is going to look just kills me.  Sound familiar?
Sure it does.  You know it does.  I'm sure somewhere along the way The Lord figured out how to speak to me - just as He figured out how to speak to you.  In all the myriad of ways, Scripture, Mentoring, Discipleship, Small Group Connection,  - - -and then there is His voice.  So I sit and wait....for a conversation to spark.

Engaging Him may be simply a matter of "being engaged" by him.




No comments: