Monday, October 21, 2013

Fingerprints of Jesus...."The Revolution"

The last couple of weeks we have been talking about the "fingerprints of Jesus" in our lives.  We have decided that Jesus brings calm from chaos - and that Jesus brings confidence and identity.  I think most of us as followers of Christ would say that we have a "working knowledge" of Jesus in our lives.....that we have a "relationship" with Him.  That we "love Him and feel His love for us."  We might even say that we see evidence of Jesus in our own healing, our own finances, our own peace, or addictions, etc.  I personally love the imagery of those concepts and I think it's very healthy that we can speak of this journey with Jesus in such terms.

BUT - I would also like to see us think in terms of Revolutionary involvement with Jesus.  That means that we are utterly changed.  It means we have totally bought into the vision of The Kingdom and how that all works itself out in our daily lives and struggles - but it also should be evident in the lives of those we encounter.  We should be always impacting the lives of others with this great revolutionary movement that has so changed us. So many times the terms we use to describe our love affair with The Lord are surface terms.  They don't go very deep.  They can be very vague.

These are the same words we use to describe our iphones sometimes.  Right?  "I have a working knowledge of apple in my life and I just 'love' my phone."  I don't mean to split hairs here - and I certainly understand the nature of a passing comment versus a heart felt statement.  However, words are often more important than we realize.  I saw this in my own life not long ago - Jesus wants to be called a "revolution" in my life.  Not just a plug in.  I really should feel and talk different about Jesus than I do my iphone.  That word "revolution" has stuck somewhere deep inside of me ever since.  You see - a revolution is movement, a revolution is constantly re-engaging every part of my worldview.  A revolution compliments being dedicated and self sacrificing.  A revolution lives and dies by an ideal big enough to change everything - if only everyone would join it. A revolution works from the inside out.  It engages a person deeply in the innermost parts of their being - then activates that person to action.  Jesus.

So my question is this - tell me the fingerprints of the revolution you see in your own life - better yet in the lives of the people that know you.  What has Jesus changed about you that culture could not do on its own?  In what way has this revolution activated something inside of you that is new - and maybe even a bit dangerous? What are you risking for this revolution?

The second part of what I love about this term revolution is that it is actually a communal term.  Revolutions are, by design, intent on joining people - gathering a larger community under a common theme, goal, or ambition.  The very best revolutions the world has ever known had these things to show as evidence.  Think about it for a minute - a common goal, driving a connected community, to do something awesome.  Jesus.  Revolution.  You and me.

No comments: